An objective of the City is “to encourage development of docks and moorage for a wide variety of ships and boats; to develop marine services which will encourage fishing fleets to select Victoria as their home port; and, to encourage marine industries to locate in the harbour.” City of Victoria Official Community Plan
Developed to meet or exceed all requirements
The Victoria International Marina project team has undertaken a thorough and exhaustive planning and approval process with federal, provincial, municipal, and first nations governments.
Throughout the process, we have acted in a responsible, respectful and accountable manner and have worked to be as open and transparent as possible in all of our dealings.
We have outlined the approval processes for all levels of government below.
- Transport Canada provides federal approvals for environmental assessments and navigable waters.
- Transport Canada’s Navigable Waters Division has been reviewing navigation impact and safety considerations surrounding the marina since 2006.
- Work has included numerous wave studies, and adjustments to the marina design to accommodate paddlers.
- A formal application for a Navigable Waters Permit was submitted to Transport Canada in fall 2008, following over two years of dialogue between Transport Canada and the Victoria International Marina project team.
- A Navigable Waters Permit was issued for the marina in May 2010.
- As a result of the City of Victoria's downzoning of the Crown water lot where the docks are to be loaded, we were required to re-apply for a new Navigable Waters Permit for the reduced marina.
- The B.C. Government is responsible for approving Provincial Crown Land leases, through the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (previously the Integrated Land Management Bureau).
- The Ministry conducted a three-year review of the marina application for the lease of the Crown water lot.
- Public input was sought by the Ministry on three separate occasions.
- The Province of B.C. approved a License of Occupation for the marina in July 2011 to facilitate construction. Upon completion of the marina, a Crown Lease will be triggered.