“Given the current environmental condition of the project area, a significant benefit to the marine environment can be achieved.” Environmental Assessment Report, Chatwin Engineering.
Designed to rigorous environmental standards
Environmental sustainability has been the foundation of our planning. The entire development is based on extensive environmental assessments and plans include innovative elements designed to improve the marine environment.
Between 1920 and 1980, these water lots were used as log-boom grounds which turned the seabed into an environmental wasteland of mud and rotting wood. The land adjoining the site was home to a city dump, a mill, and a tank farm.
The Department of Fisheries & Oceans has stated that the removal of waste material will benefit the marine habitat - improving it dramatically from its current condition.
Listed below are facts about the environmental impacts and considerations of the Victoria International Marina. Armed with the facts, you can now personally decide whether you support the development.
- The marina project will restore about 15,000 square meters of seabed to natural sediments by removing of around 1.5 meters of wood waste and mud deposited over decades of log booming in this area.
- The Victoria International Marina intends to be the first marina designed and built to Clean Marine B.C. standards, a Georgia Strait Alliance program sponsored by Environment Canada.
- The Department of Fisheries & Oceans has indicated that the removal of waste material will be beneficial to the marine habitat—in fact improving it dramatically from its current condition.
- To ensure the project is at the forefront of environmental sustainability, we have sponsored detailed and exhaustive three-year Environmental Assessment and in-depth studies by marine environmental consultants, which Fisheries and Oceans, Transport Canada and Environment Canada have reviewed.
- The marina will create new habitats for marine organisms on a clean, rock seabed and the new, hard surfaces of pilings and docks - to which marine organisms will attach and flourish.
- Independent auditors will monitor and certify our level of commitment to environmentally-sound practices in all aspects of marina operations.
- We will provide sewage hook ups to every boat slip. Sewage will be transferred from every boat to municipal sewer mains for disposal within seconds.
- We will provide recycling and garbage collection.
- Noise pollution will be minimized because slips will have electricity from shore; therfore, loud generators will not be required.